How to Help Your Child with Anxiety
- Breathe deeply while focusing on positive self-talk, for example, “I can handle this.”
- Turn the anxiety into a character, outside of themselves. Perhaps an annoying mosquito or a belligerent bully. Then have them imagine swatting the mosquito or telling the bully off.
- Tell them stories about when you are were anxious and how you managed the anxiety.
- Teach them how to release anxiety out of their bodies with cutting edge techniques such as EFT tapping.
- Require that they do more things for themselves, learn to tolerate frustrations and challenges, build competence and confidence. Avoid over-protecting and over-parenting as this increases childhood anxiety.
4) One of the most important things we can do to help our children with anxiety is to learn how to heal our own. We unintentionally and unconsciously pass on to our children the effects of our own unhealed traumas and fears.